Thanks for the feedback Jerry.
We don't modify the way sources, sinks and functions are detected when it's
based on their fields. The proposal is just to modify the classname of the
function applied in the instance so the same detection rules apply. The
only difference is when detecting if the sink or function is built-in. For
this we add some code to do this detection also based on the ComponentType
(either detected or explicit). You can check the implementation PR about
it: https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/16740

IMO, making it separate implementation of what currently exist would make
things more complex and this more error prone for no good reason. The
proposal is "just" to replace the name of the already existing function
(IdentityFunction) by another one and to provide the location of the
function JAR.

Best regards
Christophe