Hi Pulsar Community,

Recently, we noticed in certain Grafana metrics from the broker that
it appeared a topic had metrics reported by two different brokers at
the same time.

It turns out that the root of the problem is a concept called
"staleness" in prometheus and it is directly related to the fact that
we export timestamps with our metrics.

As such, I wrote a PR to remove these timestamps [0]. In it, I propose
that we remove the timestamps and cherry pick this fix to all active
branches of Pulsar. The PR has more detail, so please see it if you're
interested.

If removing these timestamps will break your use case, please let me
know. By my reading, we do not qualify as an application that needs to
report timestamps. Additionally, I tried to make it configurable, but
many of these classes are static, so it would be non-trivial to make
the behavior configurable.

Thanks,
Michael

[0] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/17419