Sorry for the late reply.

We can leverage the `ProtocolVersion` [1] to handle the compatibility issue.
It looks like only if the protocol_version >= 21, subscribe with the
auto_consume schema

IMO, both the new key-value of the subscribe command, and a specific
representative are
API changes. It's just that some have modified the definition of the API,
and some have modified the behavior of the API

I prefer the intuitive way. And from the perspective of API-based
developers, we should
try to provide a simple and clear API with no hidden rules. The client just
uploads the schema
that it has except the byte[] schema. The broker knows how to handle the
different schemas,
such as AUTO_PRODUCE, and AUTO_CONSUME. And this should not be the burden
of the
client developer to learn the details of the schema implementation. They
should work according
to the API spec.

If we can resolve the compatibility issue with uploading the AUTO_CONSUME
schema with
subscribe command, do you see any apparent cons?

Best,
Penghui

[1]
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/blob/master/pulsar-common/src/main/proto/PulsarApi.proto#L241-L266