+1 (binding)

But I DON'T think that this implementation should go into released versions.

This is not a big problem for users and we MUST hold off adding code
to released branches if the change is not strictly necessary:
- bug that causes data corruption/data loss
- security issue

Any changes committed to released branches are likely to make the
release less stable

So the feature must be turned on and we could keep the flag to disable it.

Please note that having this flag will force us to maintain
compatibility forever

Enrico