On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 3:47 PM SiNan Liu <liusinan1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I read it and they look identical. What's the difference between them?
>
> Current avro,json, and protobuf schemas are all implemented based on AVRO.
> > What do you mean, they are all implemented based on Avro? You mean the
> > protobuf schema is converted into an Avro Schema, and then you use Avro
> > compatibility validation?
>

> `org.apache.pulsar.broker.service.schema.ProtobufSchemaCompatibilityCheck`
> `org.apache.pulsar.broker.service.schema.AvroSchemaCompatibilityCheck`
> `org.apache.pulsar.broker.service.schema.JsonSchemaCompatibilityCheck`
> They all extends `AvroSchemaBasedCompatibilityCheck`, the
> `checkCompatible()` is the same implementation with `AVRO`.

Can you please explain how a Protobuf Schema descriptor can be validated
for backward compatibility check using Avro based compatibility rules?
Doesn't it expect the schema to be Avro, but it is actually a Protobuf
descriptor?
Is there some translation happening?

> I think you should structure the validation rules differently:
>

> The Compatibility check strategy is described on the website
>
> https://pulsar.apache.org/docs/next/schema-understand/#schema-compatibility-check-strategy
> 1. BACKWARD(CanReadExistingStrategy): Consumers using schema V3 can process
> data written by producers using the last schema version V2. So V2 is
> "writtenSchema" and V3 is "readSchema".
> 2. FORWARD(CanBeReadByExistingStrategy): Consumers using the last schema
> version V2 can process data written by producers using a new schema V3,
> even though they may not be able to use the full capabilities of the new
> schema. So V3 is "writtenSchema" and V2 is "readSchema".
> 3. FULL(CanBeReadMutualStrategy): Schemas are both backward and forward
> compatible.
> Schema can evolve. The old version schema and the new version schema should
> be well understood.

I'm sorry - I don't understand.
I understand the different compatibility check strategies.
If you just spell them out here, then as you say, just translate the
Protobuf Descriptor into an Avro schema and run the Avro
compatibility validation, no?
I believe the answer is no, since you may want to verify different things
when it comes to Protobuf, which are different then Avro.

At the current state, I can't understand your design at all. Please help
clarify that.