Hi,

In the proposal, it's unclear if you'd like to _mark_ the inactive members
in emeritus status or _remove_ them from the LDAP group.

I saw a similar discussion in the Flink community, resulting in "active"
sentences in its Bylaws[1]. Here is some consensus there:

1. Merits never expire. There's no reason to _remove_ a committer or PMC
member from the LDAP group because of inactive following the Apache way. I
remember numbered cases a member got removed because they _keep_ harming
the community.
2. Emeritus status is set for unblocking consensus. The Flink community
experienced some votes that could not get the required approvals in time
and thus tried to unblock consensus by setting some members with binding
votes in emeritus status. Do we spot concrete issues that the Pulsar
community cannot work well with current PMC members and committers group?
3. Emeritus status is voluntary. I know that in other foundations, it can
be judged or eagerly applied, but in ASF, we share a "Community of Peers"
sense that everyone is a volunteer. They won't be "fired" because of "low
productivity".

> Gain real visibility into the health of the project in terms of real
active PMC / Committers members.

On the community page, we already have a monthly active contributor graph.
It's an insight concept; I don't think we should _remove_ members for such
a reason.

> Have the alert threshold set correctly as to when it's time to start
working on recruiting new PMC / Committers members

Ditto. When working in the community, you will know what modules or repos
lack participants. For example, I remember someone proposing to promote
more committers working on Pulsar multilingual clients. It's not a reason
for emeritus or removal.

---

Generally, committers and PMC members have "Earned Authority" to be in the
group. They share a high trust level, and I have numerous examples that
returned members do outstanding work. If we don't have some critical issues
to introduce an emeritus status, and such members do no harm, why do we set
a bar if they return?

Best,
tison.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Flink+Bylaws