Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to introduce a new feature on Pulsar which will enable users to read topic from a defined MessageId to previous messages until the begin of the topic.

I tried to use Pulsar SQL but it requires so much RAM even for little queries (due to Presto design).

Currently, every read in Pulsar are expected to be going forward. So it might be a bit tricky to prevent every weird behavior by introducing the feature.

I'm currently tried to make an MVP/POC by introducting a readReverse field in the CommandSubscribe that is used by ReaderAPI and currently looking for to create a getFirstMessageId() on ManagedLedger (https://github.com/CleverCloud/pulsar/pull/3). I also removed startPosition < endPosition sanity checks in BookKeeper locally (https://github.com/CleverCloud/bookkeeper/pull/2).

We definitely prefer a readPrevious(), hasPreviousMessageAvailable() in the ReaderAPI.

I'm not familiar with these internals such as NonDurableCursor, RangeEntryCache, ManagedCursor so it's a bit tricky.

So I wondering someone to help/guide me or even directly handle the subject (or the discuss).

Regards,

Kannar