Hi,

CREATE_TOPIC authorization check is not performed when trying to PRODUCE/CONSUME a topic, it has been referenced: https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/17406.

I opened a PR to fix it https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/17411, but Michael reported issues about backward compatibility (which is totally correct). Adding support of CREATE_TOPIC authorization as-is will break current authorization system. I noticed that HTTP Admin API verifies the CREATE_TOPIC right when creating topic, so we have inconsistencies between pulsar binary protocol and the HTTP admin API on this.

Also, the AuthorizationProvider is an interface exposing the CREATE_TOPIC feature for authZ plugins. But it is inconsistent too.

Michael suggested to fix this interface to support the CREATE_TOPIC check and adapt the pulsar's DefaultAuthzProvider to continue as-is.

I'd like to know what do you think?

Thanks,

Kannar