On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 10:27 AM Zixuan Liu <node...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we can reference https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
>
> > Votes on code modifications follow a different model. In this scenario,
> a negative vote constitutes a veto , which the voting group (generally the
> PMC of a project) cannot override. Again, this model may be modified by a
> lazy consensus declaration when the request for a vote is raised, but the
> full-stop nature of a negative vote does not change. Under normal (non-lazy
> consensus) conditions, the proposal requires three positive votes and no
> negative votes in order to pass; if it fails to garner the requisite amount
> of support, it doesn't. Then the proposer either withdraws the proposal or
> modifies the code and resubmits it, or the proposal simply languishes as an
> open issue until someone gets around to removing it.
>
> It seems that there is no need for three binding votes for code
> modifications. If I am wrong, please point it out.
>
> I believe you may be wrong.

Lazy Consensus is described here
<https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#LazyConsensus> as:

Lazy consensus is simply an announcement of 'silence gives assent.' When
> someone wants to determine the sense of the community this way, they might
> do so with a mail message such as:
> "The patch below fixes bug #8271847; if no-one objects within three
> days, I'll assume lazy consensus and commit it."
> You cannot apply lazy consensus to code changes when the
> review-then-commit
> <https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#ReviewThenCommit> policy
> is in effect.

My understanding is that for the PIP process, we are using a
review-then-commit policy, which actually means we can't use lazy consensus.

The definition of a Lazy Consensus defined here
<https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#LazyConsensus> is:

A decision-making policy which assumes general consent if no responses are
> posted within a defined period. For example, "I'm going to commit this by
> lazy consensus if no-one objects within the next three days." Also see
> Consensus
> Approval
> <https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#ConsensusApproval> , Majority
> Approval
> <https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#MajorityApproval> , and
> the description of the voting process
> <https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>.

So if I summarize, a PIP needs to follow the "the proposal requires three