Hi Pulsar devs and users,

The pulsar-helm-chart[1] was initially developed in the main repo[2] and
later moved to its own repo in 2018[3].

During the past years, it gets little attention on both development or
maintenance, while the Pulsar ecosystem has grown multiple alternatives to
distributed pulsar deployment via helm charts or Kubernetes operators -

1. https://github.com/streamnative/charts
2. https://github.com/streamnative/pulsar-operators
3. https://github.com/streamnative/terraform-helm-charts
4. https://github.com/datastax/pulsar-helm-chart
5. https://github.com/datastax/kaap

Almost all of the ecosystem projects have better maturity than the upstream
one. Although, we in the upstream still recommend the pulsar-helm-chart as
the "official" helm chart among the README[4] and docs[5].

Of course, it's by-defined the "official" one. But such an advertisement
can mislead Pulsar users to choose a half-unmaintained project over better
implemented and maintained projects.

The upstream community, when it doesn't have the bandwidth to maintain the
repo, doesn't have to take the place of an official helm chart. And I saw a
pull request proposing to update the README of pulsar-helm-chart[6].

I approved that PR and understand that our community makes decisions on
mailing lists. Thus, here is the discussion thread to roll up the project
status for pulsar-helm-chart.

My suggestion is -

1. Accept the PR to update README reflecting the project status and remove
the "official" advertisement. It is not wrong, but it can mislead our users
as described above.
2. Correspondingly update the word in the docs on the Pulsar website.

There can be some arguments that we can pick up the project again and
develop and maintain it - this is good.

However, generally talk is cheap and real effort is slow to apply. I
totally appreciate anyone who is willing to maintain the pulsar-helm-chart,
but let's do not block the description updates by such an argument.
Instead, update the description, and change it back when the development
and maintenance really happen. It also reflects the low traffic during the
past few years.

Looking forward to your feedback :)

Best,
tison.