Hi yunze,

Thanks for reporting this. Actually, the `VERSION` file is not used in
the code even before that PR. We currently have two hardcoded version
files in place: `VERSION` which represents the current version and
`stable.txt` which represents the current stable version. However, I'm
curious about the intended function of these files. Are they merely
for developers to conveniently reference the current and stable
versions? And what is our approach to managing these files? For
instance, how do we determine what constitutes a stable version? If
there's no compelling reason to keep these files, I'd support their
removal.

Regarding the current 0.12.0 release, before we make a consensus on
whether we should remove these files. I can update the current version
in those files in the next release candidate.

Thanks,
Zike Yang