Il giorno lun 22 lug 2024 alle ore 17:34 xiangying meng <
xiangyingme...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> >thanks for your proposal, we need more and more energy in the project.
>
> Yes, it requires a lot of participation, but sometimes we also need a
> start.
>
> >Also we allow only "committers" to commit patches to the repositories
> that are under the responsibility of the Apache Pulsar PMC, I don't know
> how we can make this work with a "official fork"
>
> >An alternative is to have a "curated list" of links to personal projects,
> but we keep the responsibility over the code on the code owners and
> not on the Pulsar PMC
>
> Yes, this is a "curated list" link, but it points to the branch and
> commit ID created by the contributor himself. In addition, for some
> interface implementation classes, they can be placed in the main
> branch of the new contributor's repository and then added to the
> "curated list". Only committors or maintainers can add content to the
> "curated list". I have detailed these in the proposal.
>
> But no matter which method, each function will be marked in the
> document, that is, in the "Featured List" who contributed it. I
> understand that this feature is more of a reference feature. Allow
> users to choose these customized and risky features to customize their
> own versions. This is very useful for some large companies with
> development capabilities. At the same time, its responsibility should
> belong to the user, although we will also point out who is the
> contributor of each feature he chooses. But when using innovative or
> customized features, users should also be clear about the risks. I
> also wrote about the risks of contributor repositories in the
> proposal.

The main point is that we cannot grant "write" permissions to repositories
owned by the Pulsar project (the PMC)
to people who are not "committers". This is a legal thing, no exceptions.

So any contribution must be in the form of a PR, like for any other patches
contributes to one of the github repositories owned by the Pulsar project

A couple of questions:
- How can the Pulsar community maintain  a fork of Pulsar itself  ?
- Do you want to "cut releases" out of this fork ? Who is going to validate
them ? Who is responsible for security bugs ?
- Who is going to use this code  ?

I think that when you want to contribute a feature, you can do it with a PR
or with the PIP process (if it is bigger), and it is fine to mark it as
"experimental".

Then the community decides whether to support it or not.

When a patch is committed to our repository then it is the responsibility
of all of us (the PMC and the committers) to maintain it almost forever,
unless we decide to delete it.

This is a legal thing, we cannot accumulate code without being responsible
for that.

I am happy to clarify more if needed, and I hope that other in the
community can help in understanding if this is doable of not

Enrico