On 11/09/2009 04:10 PM, David Ingham wrote:
A quick update on ApacheCon...

First was BarCamp. If you haven't heard of BarCamp, it works like this - the
organizers provide some basic infrastructure (rooms, projectors, etc.) but
there is no program defined in advance. The attendees turn up prepared to speak
on some topic and then spend the first 30 minutes of the day devising the
schedule for the day. I gave a session on the challenges of enterprise
messaging in a heterogeneous environment, covering AMQP and Apache Qpid. It was
a good session with lots of discussion.
The slides are at:
http://daveingham.typepad.com/publications/2009.11.03-ApacheCon-AMQP%26Qpid.pdf

Jonathan Robie stepped up and organized a Qpid meetup at very short notice.
Unfortunately there wasn't a big attendance due to the lack of advance notice.
Jonathan and I reconvened to the bar ;-)

On the Friday I presented again in a joint session with Kent Brown of Microsoft and
Prabath Siriwardena of WSO2. The title was "Interoperability Through Community"
and covered Apache Stonehenge and Apache Qpid. Stonehenge is an Incubator project focused
on Web services interoperability. They've built a real-world application, StockTrader,
that demonstrates through code how to achieve Web services interoperability between
different Web services stacks. Today this includes Microsoft, Spring Source, Sun and
WSO2. I gave a pitch on AMQP and Apache Qpid as solutions for building heterogeneous
message-oriented middleware applications.
The slides are at:
http://daveingham.typepad.com/publications/2009.11.04-ApacheCon-Stonehenge%26Qpid.pdf

Nice slides!