Robert Greig wrote:
> Finally, there are performance issue with managed/non-managed heap
> copies in Java that makes JNI unattractive (I don't know if this
> applies to .NET too - although I did ask the question on this mailing
> list some time ago without receiving any answer).

I'll take a stab at it now.

This can be mitigated somewhat by asking the garbage collector to pin
a managed memory location for a brief amount of time, but there are
housekeeping costs associated with that too.

In the current WCF implementation, there is a single copy between the
binary message content in managed space and the individual AMQP
message body frames in native space.  A purely native Visual C++
application would have to make that same copy.  But it would be spared
the costs of the pinning and the numerous managed to native
transitions used to monitor and control the Qpid objects that control
connections, sessions, subscriptions etc.  For very large messages,
the overhead is small.  For 100 byte sized ones it is certainly
significant.

Cliff