For whatever it's worth, the rule I found effective "back in the day" was 'six months of constructive consistent contribution'. I'd reduce the six to maybe three for committer to a modern ASF PMC. I would not put more detail into the rule - as some wise person pointed out detailed rules only invite gaming, lawyering etc.

On Dec 8, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Steve Huston wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Rafael Schloming [mailto:rafa...@redhat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 2:34 PM
To: dev@qpid.apache.org
Subject: [VOTE] Committership Criteria

As there have been no comments or questions on the discussion
thread,
I'm going to move this to a vote:

Qualities we look for:

  - A candidate must demonstrate an understanding of how our
project
    is structured and how we work.

  - A candidate must communicate openly about work
planned/in-progress.

  - A candidate must demonstrate expertise in a significant area of
    the existing code base.

  - A candidate must demonstrate an extended commitment to the
    project.

Tests for these qualities:

  - contacting the right team members to discuss changes

  - actively soliciting feedback for significant changes or new
    development

  - multiple independent contributions over a period of
several months

  - sponsorship by someone who has worked directly with the
candidate
    reviewing and committing patches

  - detailed positive feedback from those who have worked directly
    with the candidate

  - a record of patches that maintain or improve the quality of the
    code without the need for feedback or rework

Please cast your vote below:

[ +1 ] Adopt the above statements as our official committership
criteria.

-Steve