On 12/08/2009 03:35 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
I'm looking at QPID-1951:

Eliminating ssize_t is trivial.

pid_t is used in a few more places though. However it is only used in
connection with LockFile. Either internally in Lockfile or to
communicate a pid out of LockFile so that the process can be signalled.

It seems to me that the entire LockFile class could be better factored
to eliminate passing non portable process ids around by delegating
signalling the other process to the LockFile class itself. I would
change the name to something else at that point (suggestions?). In that
case the lockfile itself becomes just an internal part of the signalling
mechanism.

Following in that direction it looks to me like for Windows at least
doing this allows you to entirely replace the lock file itself with the
named event that is already being used.

Steve, Alan (as you are both mostly responsible for these
implementations) is there anything I'm missing here or is this a good
direction?

That sounds like the way to go to me.