The new address syntax allows options that affect the behavior of Senders or Receivers. These are called "Extended Address Options".

But they aren't really related to the address itself, some specify aspects of the resolution process, others specify message transfer semantics. The term "Address Options" seems confusing to me.

In fact, I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to separate client configuration from the address.

Instead of configuring a Receiver like this:

Receiver receiver = session.createReceiver("message_queue; {create: always, mode: browse}");

Perhaps we could use two different parameters, keeping the current syntax for options, but removing the outer brackets:

Receiver receiver = session.createReceiver("message_queue", "create: always, mode: browse");

The options could then be called something like "Client Configuration Options". We would still want drain, spout, and management tools to have a simple way to specify both on the command line, but separate command line options would be a simple way to do that.

Jonathan