On 28 February 2012 05:37, Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If the "queue" and "topic" qualifiers are used then I guess it makes
> it really easy for us to work out the validation.
>
> What are we going to do with the "destination" qualifier ?
> Ex destination.my-dest=<address-string>
>
> 1. We deprecate this and get qpid users to use one of "queue" or
> "topic" as the administrator who writes the jndi file surely knows
> what it's going to be.
>
> 2. We create the destination but not allow it to be used with any
> methods that require the Queue or Topic interface.

^^ This - it should be created as a Destination that implements
neither Queue nor Topic.

> 3. Attempt to figure out if the address is a Topic or a Queue based on
> the current behaviour (as described in my first email) and then
> convert it a Queue or Topic if the Destination object is passed to any
> methods that require a Queue/Topic interface.

As per my previous comment on the JIRA, I think it's not actually
possible to determine from an address string what is a "topic" and
what is a "queue".  I can define a "queue" which distributes the
messages it hold to every consumer, and removes messages only when
every current consumer has irrevocably passed that message... is this
a "queue" or a "topic"?  From a JMS perspective it behaves exactly as
you would expect from a topic (especially in an AMQP 1-0 scenario
where you can create durable subscribers with durable links).  However
from an AMQP 0-x perspective this looks like a "queue".  (Indeed on my
AMQP 1-0 branch I have implemented exactly this type of "queue" in the
Java broker... in a class called "Topic" :-) ). Conversely I could
define an exchange type which for any given message will route to *at
most one* bound queue... this "work sharing exchange" has many of the
properties of a "queue" in JMS semantics, but looks like how we
currently implement "topics" in AMQP 0-x.

Given the above I think it is fruitless and indeed even incorrect to
attempt to determine whether a given address satisfies JMS "Queue" or
JMS "Topic" semantics based on the address itself.

-- Rob