On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 3:19 AM, Rob Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 February 2012 05:37, Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If the "queue" and "topic" qualifiers are used then I guess it makes
>> it really easy for us to work out the validation.
>>
>> What are we going to do with the "destination" qualifier ?
>> Ex destination.my-dest=<address-string>
>>
>> 1. We deprecate this and get qpid users to use one of "queue" or
>> "topic" as the administrator who writes the jndi file surely knows
>> what it's going to be.
>>
>> 2. We create the destination but not allow it to be used with any
>> methods that require the Queue or Topic interface.
>
> ^^ This - it should be created as a Destination that implements
> neither Queue nor Topic.

This is what I meant. Return an object that implements only Destination.
However this will cause a class cast exception when an application
attempts to cast it to a Queue (or Topic) to be used in a specialized
method.

I guess that's a reasonable thing.. and in our docs we specify that if
they want an address to be used as a Queue or a Topic, then it should
be explicitly specified as such, using the "queue" or "topic"
qualifiers in the jndi file.

Rajith

>> 3. Attempt to figure out if the address is a Topic or a Queue based on
>> the current behaviour (as described in my first email) and then
>> convert it a Queue or Topic if the Destination object is passed to any
>> methods that require a Queue/Topic interface.
>
> As per my previous comment on the JIRA, I think it's not actually
> possible to determine from an address string what is a "topic" and
> what is a "queue".  I can define a "queue" which distributes the
> messages it hold to every consumer, and removes messages only when
> every current consumer has irrevocably passed that message... is this
> a "queue" or a "topic"?  From a JMS perspective it behaves exactly as
> you would expect from a topic (especially in an AMQP 1-0 scenario
> where you can create durable subscribers with durable links).  However
> from an AMQP 0-x perspective this looks like a "queue".  (Indeed on my
> AMQP 1-0 branch I have implemented exactly this type of "queue" in the
> Java broker... in a class called "Topic" :-) ). Conversely I could
> define an exchange type which for any given message will route to *at
> most one* bound queue... this "work sharing exchange" has many of the
> properties of a "queue" in JMS semantics, but looks like how we
> currently implement "topics" in AMQP 0-x.
>
> Given the above I think it is fruitless and indeed even incorrect to
> attempt to determine whether a given address satisfies JMS "Queue" or
> JMS "Topic" semantics based on the address itself.

Good explanation, make sense.
If we get out of the business of trying to figure things in the code
and delegate that to the administrator the code becomes simple.

Rajith

> -- Rob
>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Rajith
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> As per the discussion on QPID-792, I'm moving the discussion onto the
>>> dev list under.
>>> I have attempted to summarise the current behaviour and some of the
>>> comments expressed by Rob and Robbie.
>>>
>>> Currently the clients (C++, python and JMS) resolves an address (with
>>> the 0-10 protocol) as follows.
>>>
>>> 1. If the name resolves to a queue, we treat it as a Queue
>>> 2. If the name resolves to an exchange, we treat is a Topic