Okay, I'll check out the different font option and give you something
to evaluate.  I prefer news cycle in your two examples, but this gets
subjective fast!  Maybe I can find a third option that we'll both
like.

As to page width, I can widen it a little, but I do have two design
goals I'd like to consider preserving: First, the current design fits
in one half of a 1920x1080 display, which is to say it is less than
960 pixels wide, including the scrollbar.  I use the linux/windows
feature of attaching windows to the right or left side a lot, so this
is pleasant for me. Second, the mobile use case: I'd like to keep the
site usable from a phone or tablet, and adding width doesn't help
there.

I'm personally not a big fan of the links-on-the side approach, but of
course I can see why it's convenient.  All I'll say is that it's nice
(for me) to get more stuff out of view and focus on a given page's
content.

Thanks!
Justin