On 08/27/2013 12:00 PM, Gordon Sim wrote:
On 08/27/2013 03:33 PM, Alan Conway wrote:
On 08/23/2013 08:34 AM, Gordon Sim wrote:
The real problem is that of users being excluded from topics they
should be
aware of and to which they can make valuable contributions.

Lets not forget that anyone can subscribe to the dev list if they are
interested, so nobody is excluded from anything. Users that want to
follow detailed Qpid development can simply subscribe to dev.

The point I was making is that I don't think it is reasonable to expect users to
follow the dev list just to be aware of changes and features coming down the
line and to provide feedback on them.

The dev/user split is a common convention, I don't see why qpid would be
different from other projects in that regard. I subscribe to both lists
and I find the split useful to organize my reading.

I personally don't think I'm arguing for anything unusual. I see users as those
that run the software and care about how it behaves but aren't that interested
in the code itself. Developers on the other hand do care about the code and the
process of developing and maintaining it.

I agree that user-facing changes should be discussed on the user list
(deprecated features, interface changes, new feature proposals etc.) and
I agree that cross posting should be avoided. I think its reasonable to
assume that developers will also follow the user list so they will be
aware of discussions there.

This to me captures the key points. If it may be of interest to someone using
the software, post it to the user list. If its only likely to be of interest to
those with a working knowledge of the code, then the dev list is fine.

We are in violent agreement ;) That sounds exactly right.