I think this is confusing, because the link origins
seem a little router-centric, while the link message
directions are client-centric.

Why not make everything rclearly router-centric, in
this context.  Like this:

  links made by clients are "client links"  (or "client-originated links")
  links made by routers are "router links"  (or "router-originated links")

  links pointing at clients are pointing "outward"
  links pointing at routers are pointing "inward"
  links between two routers are "internal"