Github user lulf commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/qpid-dispatch/pull/96

    @ted-ross Good idea! I've updated the PR with a header for atomic
operations that supports c11, gnu/clang builtins and uses mutexes as a fallback
for other compilers. It might also be that the flags checked for GNUC and clang
could be refined somewhat, but I think these builtins have been a part of those
compilers for a long time.  I don't have access to visual studio, so I haven't
tested that.

    It's not pretty, but I've tried to create as little overhead for this
abstraction as possible. I wasn't sure if this should be in the public api or
maybe in some internal header.

    A generic ref_count/smart pointer abstraction can be built using this as
the next step if desired.

---
with INFRA.
---