Github user gemmellr commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/qpid-proton-j/pull/13

    My immediate reaction is that this isn't acceptable. It exposes various
APIs that are considered part of the implementation only, and then further
exposes additional implementation detail presumably to subclass it, which it
similarly isn't intended for.

    Given the general nature of the engines Sasl object/api, would I be right
to assume the reason you want this ability is mainly just due to limitations
imposed from use within the Reactor? If so perhaps theres a nicer reactor-only
approach that can be explored, or alternatively perhaps theres a neat way to
tie it in with the existing layering exposed by TransportInternal for similar
reactor related layering reasons.

---