Github user alanconway commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/qpid-proton/pull/160

    > Perhaps we could have a C++11 only explicit bool conversion as well as
is_set(). However we would need to experiment a bit as some of the options
themselves are also bools so this might be confusing!

    I left it off because of the confusion. I could probably be persuaded but
I'm not sure of the value - I think
        if (opt.is_set()) use(opt.get())
    is clearer and not really harder to use than
        if (opt) use(opt.get())

    > Another thing we should consider is throwing an exception if get() is
called when the option is not set.
    No objection, I'll make it so. Technically it is a logic_error. Do you
think  we should add proton::logic_error, or fudge it and just throw
proton::error?

---