If the code in third_party is merely “copied” into the project and not part of
it, and in particular if have not forked it and intend to copy in a more recent
version in the future, maybe you shouldn’t be applying Apache headers to those
files. They could be just included in the source distribution (including
appropriate licenses and notices).

Other mentors, what do you think?

Julian