TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC, sorry:

I have an autoconf script that's failing to detect a certain library, and I've
tracked it down to a failure of

ld -lasound foo.c

..which tells me that it can't find -lasound.  Digging around in /usr/lib, I
see that there's a libasound.so.2, but not a libasound.so.  I just created a
symbolic link from libasound.so to libasound.so.2, and that seems to work, but
that *can't* be the general solution. Can it?

Put differently: is there a way to specify a library version using an ld "-l"
flag?

John