Neil Toronto wrote at 02/14/2012 03:37 PM:
Here's the deal, though. This one, even just the "lambda r." in a circle, is pushing complexity. We've been approaching logo design too much like language design, trying to cram as much semantic content as possible into a small space or into the fewest shapes. A logo exists primarily to make a good impression on outsiders. Filling it with too much meaning works actively against this.

Good point.

This full banner would be good printed as a big stripe across light gray T-shirts and hoodies (like university-branded merchandise using unofficial visuals), but is pretty busy as the canonical logo. It's not a bad allusion to Racket's quality of "we've crammed a lot of clever stuff into this thing, and you'll need to spend a lot of time going through all of it."

The "lambda r. in a circle" part alone is not bad. I wonder how well it could work with more of a nod to the long-time red and blue of the PLT logos.

And I still like the only-slightly-odd-looking "parenthesis added to current logo, to make an R" idea.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/