I'd like to make bit-vectors serializable so I can replace sql-bits with them. I'll deprecate the current sql-bits names but keep them around for a while.

The issue is that bit-vectors are implemented using fxvectors, which are serializable, but simply serializing them will presumably cause errors if a bit-vector is serialized on a 64-bit machine and deserialized on a 32-bit machine or vice versa.

One solution would be to use bytes instead of fxvectors. The performance is about the same as far as I could tell using the sieve benchmark.

Another option is to declare that serialization across word sizes doesn't work for bit vectors.

Any opinions?

Ryan
 Racket Developers list:
 http://lists.racket-lang.org/dev