I've taken a quick look at Lyx, and it is not exactly a LaTeX GUI. It has its own file format, with LaTeX import and export, although it closely depends on LaTeX and does do BibTeX bibliographies.

It uses programs such as pdflatex to do its typesetting, so it cannot have any capabilities that are not in LaTeX.

I'm reluctant to commit to a single GUI, so I'm still intending to maintain the source files as LaTeX and BibTeX, for which there are many GUI editors and command line tools. However, I will periodically import into Lyx to make sure it works. I don't expect need to do anything really fancy with macros and the like in LaTeX.

Patricia

On 3/9/2011 3:19 PM, Christopher Dolan wrote:
It's a LaTeX GUI.  http://www.lyx.org/

I approve of the LaTeX/BibTeX approach. BibTeX was the first (but not
last!) document syntax that drove me to write Makefiles...  :-)

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Patricia Shanahan [mailto:p...@acm.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 3:49 PM
To: dev@river.apache.org
Subject: Re: Bibliography format question

I know nothing about Lyx, so I'll have to look into it. What format does

it keep its files in?

Patricia

On 3/9/2011 1:32 PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
For people who don't know TeX, it might be possible to use Lyx?

Peter.

Patricia Shanahan wrote:
On 3/9/2011 11:16 AM, Tom Hobbs wrote:
Hi Patricia,

The basic rule is, if you're the first person doing it, then you get
to chose. And as you say, the result will be in a format that
everyone can read and see. I assume that your "left to myself" bit
describes a fairly standard way of doing this kind of thing. In
which
case, I'd say go with that.

The approach I'm considering is the way it is often done in the
computer science academic world. Its main disadvantage is that it is
not WYSIWYG. Its advantages are very precise formatting control, text
source files that work well with revision control, and availability
of
prepared BibTex data for many publications.

However, I don't want to exclude others who might not be familiar
with
LaTex but would otherwise contribute.

On a vaguely related note. I agree with you that a distributed
transaction manager is a more useful (necessary?) addition than a
distributed Java Space, so I took the liberty of creating a Jira for
tracking it's issues, notes, thoughts etc.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-394

I hope that's okay.

It's not just okay, it's excellent. I plan to comment on it as I
learn
relevant information.

Patricia