The argument for generics in remote interfaces is to reduce boilerplate code, the argument against is, it introduces unchecked type casts. (See earlier discussion)

Is there another way to reduce the boilerplate code, using annotations perhaps?

Or perhaps generics in combination with an annotation, then we can use ASM to weave in type cast checks.

A developer writing code, might not know what type of object T is, but after compilation, it will be declared as a specific type in bytecode. The weaved bytecode can simply throw an exception that extends RemoteException, perhaps called RemoteTypeCastException.

This way the client is protected from a malicious service, designed to create runtime exceptions using class cast exceptions.

Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to write such a tool, but it would make the use of Generics in remote interfaces typesafe. I'm willing to help where possible if someone has the desire to take up the cause and get it started. At some stage we will probably support Generics, at this point it's just easier to tell users that Generics are still experimental.

Perhaps annotations and ASM could be used to simply proxy verification boilerplate code too.

Cheers,

Peter.