Tom Hobbs wrote:
Always communicating in a separate JVM is going to have obvious performance
costs. Do we know what they are and are they acceptable?

It's hard to say at this stage, without an implementation, but it will consume more resources.

I figure a good compromise would be that each registrar proxy be responsible for it's own jvm and any services it provides. The client would be run from it's own jvm.

A separate JVM for remote code reduces the amount of client and platform code visible to proxy's. Shared class (static) variables are not possible between client and downloaded code. This would also allow different conflicting libraries to be kept separate.

The Isolates API would be more desirable, but not available.

Just an experiment at this stage, time will tell... anyone wanting to help, sing out.

 Is going to be
easy to turn off for.people who trust what they're downloading an don't want
to pay the perf costs etc?
I hope so, haven't considered configuration at this stage.

Cheers,

Peter.