On 6/26/2011 1:23 PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
There's an interesting thread of discussion in the Porter mail archive
that Mark has uploaded for us (see River-311), relating to the TaskManager.

Here's a very interesting comment from Bob Scheifler:

Over the years we've been slowly eliminating use of Task.runAfter, and
in any overhaul I'd prefer to finish that job rather than perpetuate it.
I have in a past life been a fan of deadline scheduling.

Any thoughts?

If it can be done, it might remove one of my concurrency concerns.

Some TaskManager tasks have a retry concept. The retry implementation
creates a window during which the task is not known to the TaskManager,
and is not considered by the TaskManager runAfter testing. I think there
may be cases in which the code that submitted the task treats it as
having been done before a new task runs, because of runAfter, but that
may not be the case, because of a retry.

The negative side of this is that the class submitting the tasks would
have to have its own mechanism for queuing up tasks that need to run in
order.

Patricia