Inline....

On 15 November 2011 23:10, Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au> wrote:
> With River, we execute separately compiled bytecodes at runtime by taking
> advantage of discovery and lookup services - distributed dependency
> injection.  Service API, Java and Jini Platforms provide compatibility, for
> separately compiled components, these are the parent classes and interfaces
> that clients and services use for communicating across compile time
> boundaries, demarcated by Service API.
>
> Determining classes to be shared between proxy and client namespaces and
> identifying what shouldn't be creates challenges for developers, who
> currently need to define preferred class lists.

Unless we find some means to make that a lot easier....

> My personal preference is to share as little as possible, how selfish!

Uh huh, useful default, see above.

> The Java platform itself presents issues with Memory isolation, namespace
> visibility, class resolution and codebase annotation loss for proxy's or
> distributed objects.
>
> proxy - remote reference, implements Remote
> distributed object - local copy of an object, serialized, implements
> Serializable.
>
> If we share only the Service API, Java and Jini Platform classes and
> objects, then we minimise Java platform issues.
>
> Proxy classes that extend services API, java or Jini platform classes don't
> need to be visible to the client (the reverse holds true also), since client
> code uses the super classes and interfaces in the Service API, Java or Jini
> Platform.
>
> In reality client classes and any other libraries are loaded into the
> application ClassLoader with the Service API and Jini Platform, so all these
> additional classes are also visible to proxy's.
>
> If the proxy uses libraries or has classes in the same namespace as the
> client, unless the proxy's classes are preferred, they will be resolved by
> the application ClassLoader (the classes may or may not be compatible), if
> the proxy is later transferred to another node in the network, the codebase
> annotations have been lost because the classes were loaded by the
> application class loader and resolved from the class path.  If the 2nd
> remote node doesn't have the required classes on its classpath, it's game
> over.

True but, as I'm hinting, the problem is preferred classes aren't
being set up right and that's where we should be focusing IMHO.

> This problem could be solved if the Classpath isn't visible to the proxy,
> only the ServiceAPI, Java and Jini Platform classes, so developers don't
> have to understand ClassLoader visibility and preferred classes and may
> instead just focus on developing services and getting their OS and network
> to support multicast discovery.

Yep, you could try to solve these problems this way but I have a
pretty strong feel in my gut that it'll be hard work, increase
complexity substantially and be full of holes.

Many of the problems you list ought to be solved in the JDK itself
rather than fudged around with complex classloader structures (we all
know where this goes, see any J2EE container for reference). That
seems like an unlikely possibility so I'd be taking path of least
resistance which appears to be improving the way we deal in preferred
classes and establishing some meaningful defaults for setting up the
necessary manifest entries etc.

You could for example have the proxy share nothing of the platform
bringing with it it's own versions on the basis that makes future
versioning problems minimal. Of course it'll make for big .jars as
downloads but hey ho.