On 11-01-12 09:26, Dan Creswell wrote:
"once we publish them we're stuck with them"

Why? Presumably we're stuck with them in the same way that Intel are
stuck with continuing to support a huge legacy?

Of course I don't subscribe to such an attitude - if they're broken,
we fix them. Even internet API's behave this way in spite of all the
good REST'ian things said about preserving URL's etc because nothing
else is practical. We routinely see fork'ing of internet API's or
versioning where an old API remains but in a run-down, no longer
supported state whilst development goes on elsewhere. That's the
equivalent of leaving an API in an old version of the River kit and
replacing it in a newer version.

Nothing is perfect at release, there's nothing wrong with trying to be
as right as possible but there are limits and we need to recognise
that rather than obsess over achieving the impossible.

Dan.

+10!