Thanks Brian,

Looking at our implementation code, DGC uses an Executor called ThreadPool, it's javadoc states:

/**
* ThreadPool is a simple thread pool implementation of the Executor
* interface.
*
* A new task is always given to an idle thread, if one is available;
* otherwise, a new thread is always created.  There is no minimum
* warm thread count, nor is there a maximum thread count (tasks are
* never queued unless there are sufficient idle threads to execute
* them).
*
* New threads are created as daemon threads in the thread group that
* was passed to the ThreadPool instance's constructor.  Each thread's
* name is the prefix NewThreadAction.NAME_PREFIX followed by the name
* of the task it is currently executing, or "Idle" if it is currently
* idle.

ThreadPool predates Java 5, it looks like we can fix this by using an Executor from Java 5, we can look at limiting the number of threads created based on available CPU's and a scaling factor and place the tasks in a BlockingQueue, so if the queue is filled, it blocks.

Can you report the issue as a Bug on Jira for me, I'll fix this before the next release.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter Firmstone wrote:
Hi Peter,

I was wondering if you had any thoughts on this post from Bryan on River users?

Hope you don't mind me asking ;)

Best Regards,

Peter Firmstone.

Re: DGC threads issue