Gregg,

Just thought I'd bring this back from previous list discussion, as it displays some of the issues you had to overcome.

Cheers,

Peter.

Gregg Wonderly wrote:
Okay, I've done some more digging and thinking and one of the primary issues I believe, comes down to how "containers", whether they are IDEs, standards like OSGi or JEE etc, provide access to the "classpath" of the running environment.

At the root of the behavior of PreferredClassProvider is

    private static ClassLoader getRMIContextClassLoader() ...

which just gets the context class loader. This loader becomes the parent of the created PreferredClassLoader.

One of the issues for me, is that I think that honoring the PREFERRED.LIST is an important part of bringing advertised services into any JVM.

The primary driver of the use of PreferredClassProvider is of course the user of the RMIClassLoaderSpi class in the RMIClassLoader. In reggie, the places that deal with unmarshalling, are using MarshalledInstance, MarshalledWrapper and MarshalInputStream to package this activity.

But, what I am seeing in netbeans is that reggie's unmarshalling is using the JVM system class loader as the parent, and that's causing non-preferred classes to be resolved in that class loader. However, my netbeans modules have a different copy of the jsk-platform.jar that is visible to them, and that's where they are resolving things like Matches and other classes that are at the core of service unmarshalling by reggie.

So, I am trying to gather some more information to have some better perspectives on what actually makes the most sense.

Technically, netbeans sets the context class loader to the "netbeans" system class loader. In most of my jini applications, I always use

Thread.currentThread().setContextClassLoader( getClass().getClassLoader() )

in newly created threads and in EDT listener objects (via the SyncThread class at http://swingutil.dev.java.net). I think this should make things work out in integrating Jini into netbeans too, but I've somehow not recognized the right problem yet and got it solved.

Gregg Wonderly