On 1 December 2012 03:24, Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au> wrote:
> Presently most tests have a lot of shared mutable state.
>
> This isn't helped by the setup(QAConfig) mutator method in the Test
> interface appended.
>
> An alternative might be:
>
> public Test setup(QAConfig config) throws Exception;
>
> This would allow the test to return another Test object, fully constructed
> with immutable state.
>
> It would also allow the test to create an object that can run several other
> Test objects, rather than relying on inheritance.
>
> Thoughts?

Reasonable IMO, I'd observe what we've got now is a factory method
which kinda doesn't jibe with the original intentions behind the Test
interface. The Test object has already been constructed in order for
setup to be called.

Tricky as making more than basic changes will cause much work although
I think that's the way this is going to go anyway. I'm somewhat
tempted to say something radical like "let's just move this stuf over
to junit" but for now how about we come up with a better name than
setup that fits the intention better?

I've only got crap names off the top of my head to suggest like
"construct" or "build"...