After what seems like a marathon, I've just finished converting remaining service implementations to the new com.sun.jini.start.Starter interface, no longer is 'this' allowed to escape during construction.

The only remaining instances I'm aware of are the examples, I looked at fixing them, but lets face it, we need better examples that demonstrate best practises, any volunteers?

When I set out to refactor the qa suite, I never expected to find so many issues, including those found in the main distribution. Findbugs was helpful to identify issues, other issues revealed themselves as work progressed.

I haven't of course fixed all the issues, but I can say that things are better, don't forget most of this code was written prior to the current Java Memory Model, so this is more or less just houskeeping.

I've got a little more testing to do, then it's time merge Sim's work back in from trunk and branch for release.

To ensure we've got the highest quality build possible, we can allow additional time for release candidate testing.

Thanks for all the support, I understand this hasn't been the easiest process.

After the next release I recommend we focus more on code simplification and correctness to really make our codebase solid, so it's easier to understand and develop, if we're fortunate enough, wiser, more experienced (not to mention modest) developers will be tempted to jump in and do some really great work.

Regards,