The Util interface should not be preferred.  Implementations of Util can be
preferred but not Util itself.

Services need a common api that all implementations and clients can use to
interract, even if this is a kind of codebase service.

Modifying an interface is generally considered bad practise but now Java 8
makes it possible to add default methods for added functionality, that line
blurs somewhat.  What can you do if an earlier interface is loaded by a parent
ClassLoader and you need a later version, make it preferred?

My thoughts are that interfaces should never be preferred and all classes
defined in their methods shouldn't be preferred either.

It would be relatively easy to write a new implementation that ensures that
interfaces are loaded into their own ProtectionDomain in a parent ClassLoader.
But that would be confusing as dynamic policy grants are made to ClassLoader's
not ProtectionDomains.

But using ProtectionDomains in this manner, preserves security, ensures maximum
visibility and avoids codebase annotation loss, if we ask the ProtectionDomain
for the annotation, instead of the ClassLoader.  But this is not how we do
things presently.

Cheers,

Peter.