First, thanks for the responses and the interest in this topic.  I have
been traveling for the last few days and have not had a chance to follow up.

- The network would have multiple switches, but not multiple routers.  The
typical target is an infiniband network.  Of course, Java let's us bind to
infiniband now.

- As far as I understand it, MPI relies on each node executing the same
logic in a distributed communication pattern.  Thus the concept of a leader
election to determine a balanced tree probably does not show up. Instead,
the tree is expressed in terms of the MPI rank assigned to each node.  I am
not suggesting that the same design pattern is used for river.

- We do need a means to define the relationship between a distributed
communication pattern and the manner in which data are decomposed onto a
cluster.  I am not sure that the proposal above gives us this directly, but
some extension of it probably would.   Let me give an example.  In our
application, we are distributing the edges of a graph among a 2-D cluster
of compute nodes (p x p machines).  The distribution is done by assigning
the edges to compute nodes based on some function (key-range,
hash-function) of the source and target vertex identifiers.  When we want
to read all edges in the graph, we need to do an operation that is data
parallel across either the rows (in-edges) or the columns (out-edges) of
the cluster. See http://mapgraph.io/papers/UUSCI-2014-002.pdf for a TR that
describes this communication pattern for a p x p cluster of GPUs.  In order
to make this work with river, we would somehow have to associate the nodes
with their positions in this 2-D topology.  For example, we could annotate
each node with a "row" and "column" attribute that specifies its location
in the compute grid.  We could then have a communicator for each row and
each column based on the approach you suggest above.

The advantage of such tree based communication patterns is quite large.
They require log(p) communication operations where you would otherwise do p
communication operations.  So, for example, only 4 communication operations
vs 16 for a 16 node cluster.

Thanks,
Bryan