I have found this to be a very interesting conversation.  My own bias is,
we are talking about 4.0. Let's focus on releasing 3.0 ;-)

I completely understand Peter's concerns about reasoning about visibility
for concurrency.

I understand from Greg that the visibility comes from the network barrier.

How does this play out when changes are published into either a service or
a client cache for the attributes used to publish or discover a proxy?
This would seem to be the place where there is an opportunity for
concurrency issues.

Looking at
http://river.apache.org/doc/api/net/jini/core/lookup/ServiceItem.html, I
see that the ServiceItem is three fields:

Entry
<http://river.apache.org/doc/api/net/jini/core/entry/Entry.html>[]*attributeSets
<http://river.apache.org/doc/api/net/jini/core/lookup/ServiceItem.html#attributeSets>*
Attribute sets.
Object
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Object.html?is-external=true>*service
<http://river.apache.org/doc/api/net/jini/core/lookup/ServiceItem.html#service>*
A service object.
ServiceID
<http://river.apache.org/doc/api/net/jini/core/lookup/ServiceID.html>*serviceID
<http://river.apache.org/doc/api/net/jini/core/lookup/ServiceItem.html#serviceID>*
A service ID, or null if registering for the first time.
It seems reasonable if the attributeSets field's value is replaced.  But
there would be a visibility concern about this.

It's been a while since I wrote service cache logic.  Is the visibility
guarantee here provided by an interface providing notice of attributeSet
changes?

Thanks,
Bryan

----
Bryan Thompson
Chief Scientist & Founder
SYSTAP, LLC
4501 Tower Road
Greensboro, NC 27410
br...@systap.com
http://blazegraph.com
http://blog.bigdata.com <http://bigdata.com>
http://mapgraph.io

Blazegraph™ <http://www.blazegraph.com/> is our ultra high-performance
graph database that supports both RDF/SPARQL and Tinkerpop/Blueprints
APIs.  Blazegraph is now available with GPU acceleration using our disruptive
technology to accelerate data-parallel graph analytics and graph query.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email and its contents and attachments are
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and are confidential or
proprietary to SYSTAP. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure,
dissemination or copying of this email or its contents or attachments is
the sender by reply email and permanently delete all copies of the email