I know that.
And while it is better than Java RMI for several reasons (extensibility being one of them) - it is still not perfect:

1) It is inherently blocking
2) Does not support data streaming (in general you need a separate comm channel for this) 3) invocation layer depends on particular object serialization implementation - Marshall input/output streams (this is my favorite - to plug in my new AnnotatedStream implementations I must basically rewrite the invocation layer)

Thanks,
Michal

Peter wrote:
FYI.  JERI != Java RMI.

There's no reason these layers couldn't be provided as OSGi services and selected from the service registry either.

Cheers,

Peter.

   Protocol Stack

The Jini ERI architecture has a protocol stack with three layers as shown in the following table, with interfaces representing the abstractions of each layer on the client side and the server side as shown:

Layer     Client-side abstractions     Server-side abstractions
Invocation layer |InvocationHandler| <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/reflect/InvocationHandler.html?is-external=true> |InvocationDispatcher|
Object identification layer     |ObjectEndpoint|     |RequestDispatcher|
Transport layer |Endpoint|, |OutboundRequestIterator|, |OutboundRequest| |ServerCapabilities|, |ServerEndpoint|, |InboundRequest|

The client-side and server-side implementations of each layer are chosen for a particular remote object as part of exporting the remote object. The design is intended to allow plugging in different implementations of one layer without affecting the implementations of the other layers.

The client side abstractions correspond to the structure of the client-side proxy for a remote object exported with Jini ERI, with the invocation layer implementation containing the object identification layer implementation and that, in turn, containing the transport layer implementation.

Which invocation constraints are supported for remote invocations to a particular remote object exported with Jini ERI is partially dependent on the particular implementations of these layers used for the remote object (most especially the transport layer implementation).