When you think about classes with annotations in this environment, it also means that classes at the client may not return to the originating ClassLoader as boomerangs, unless they're resolved by a common imported package by the proxy bundle. When the boomerang returns it will be loaded in a PreferredClassLoader which has the proxy as the parent ClassLoader in teh client instead of the originating ClassLoader.

So if the client registered a listener with a service that remotely filtered or sent events as batches, the client would have to view the results via a common api interface. There would of course be no codebase annotation losses, the point is objects may not return to their originating loader, so it would seem best to avoid using codebase annotations in OSGi unless a developer is very familiar with ClassLoaders etc.

It might be possible to register ClassLoader's with their codebase annotation locally and associate them with proxy ClassLoaders, via a lookup list in PreferredClassProvider, allowing boomerangs to return to the correct ClassLoader, while also allowing PreferredClassProvider to discover annotations. The annotation itself doesn't need to be a reference to the Bundle, just a suitable list of jar files that would provide the same classes.

The thought exercise is interesting in any case. Sometimes though, simpler is better, it may be preferable to see how developers cope without the bells and whistles first as this is far easier to debug and less subject to problems, for some minor sacrifices in capability.

Regards,

Peter.