I think that separate repositories is a good idea.  It might be interesting for
one of those repositories to require a specific layout of the repositories and
provide a script to “pull” all the correlated versions etc.  I sometimes
struggle with all the variations on how this gets done.  At some place we need
to pull all the details into view in a way that is also “easy” to consume.

Gregg