If we have to, we have to--but how will people be able to upgrade from 5.0.x to 5.1 without everyone's password being lost and hence locked out (i.e., if blogs.oracle.com tried this all users would be locked out, right?) Perhaps we can support both algorithms in 5.1 (http://stackoverflow.com/a/17450276).

But if we have to break it, let's use moving forward the best algorithm, from the above link the BCCrypt() one apparently (unless you know otherwise). Also, we don't have to use Spring here if plain Java offers corresponding libraries (less likely to deprecate).

Also, Greg, please answer this question I put in the comments (if you know it), in case you missed it: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ROL-1795, we have the closing of a JIRA issue (always a good thing :) on the line...

Glen