Hi Team, some more theme changes I'm thinking about for Roller 5.1, I'm not definite on any of these, just soliciting opinions:

1.) Retiring the Sotto theme -- while pretty it's non-responsive and doesn't offer anything that Fauxcoly doesn't have, and the latter has more functionality and uses a more modern rendering framework. And Sotto's margins are not wide enough to support blogging Java or other software programs, the primary need I can see for a non-responsive theme.

2.) Rename the "Basic" Theme to "Dual-Theme", as its main technical benefit is that it offers two themes, one mobile and one standard, for those who would be interested in this type of setup. In the description for the theme, I will mention that the mobile theme is "beta" quality due to problems with it mentioned in my email yesterday: "Shelan, another contributor around 2010 created a mobile weblog view for a blog, as you can see in the upper-right corner here: http://www.nailedtothex.org/roller/kyle/entry/nested-list-element-issue-of1 . The mobile theme doesn't seem to work right today (that blog entry at that link shows the problems with it, the blogger had to make changes basically making it a standard blog anyway, and even with those changes I saw further errors with it.)"

By renaming this theme, we keep its main benefit while ensuring actual bloggers realize there's problems with the present mobile theme and so they may wish either fix it (and hopefully submit a patch), remove the mobile theme capability (if they like the standard theme by itself) or bring in another mobile theme. The current problem with 5.1 is that we name the theme "Basic" which causes many to use it. However, those accessing the blog using a smart phone or tablet end up getting an buggy Mobile theme. Further, since most of the blood and effort today is in creating responsive themes, fixing the problem with Basic's secondary mobile theme isn't going to be a high priority for anyone.

3.) Bring in the Rolling theme (https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/roller-extras/wiki/Themes) from Roller-Extras, I've been using a customized version of it since 2005 (http://web-gmazza.rhcloud.com/blog/) and superblogger Arun Gupta of Sun/Oracle also used it for many years. It's an unapologetically non-responsive theme with wide columns good for blogging code, it's easy to modify and change the right side column heading topics (mine are different from the basic theme), and doesn't use any advanced CSS/JS libraries--it's easy to customize. It will also attract people who would otherwise use Basic/Dual-Theme but don't wish to be saddled with an unworking mobile theme, or (like me) don't even want to try to have their blog entries rendered for smart phones.

(Note that Rolling may be LGPL licensed, as Roller-Extras as a whole is, but it was apparently authored by Dave according to its theme.xml, so if Dave could hereby declare it ASL we should be in good shape.)

As an alternative to #2 and #3, what we can do is remove the mobile capability from the Basic theme so it works OOTB, and add to the user's guide how to create a dual-theme Theme, bringing in Shelan's beta-quality mobile theme viewer in that article (or just using the gaurav theme as the mobile viewer).

WDYT?

Regards,
Glen