I investigated this problem and here's what I found:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ROL-2160

I have also proposed a solution to this problem in the JIRA ticket. I have
tested that solution and it works, but it is really a work-around for what
I believe is a bug in Struts.

Here's a PR with the fix: https://github.com/apache/roller/pull/55

Thanks,
Dave