If you set the slider's width and height explicitly, the layout should
work fine. Found two issues:

The SliderMouseController is oriented toward a horizontal slider. I will
create a HorizontalSliderMouseController and a
VerticalSLiderMouseController.

Second, on the HTML/JS side, the slider controller is supposed to receive
a BrowserEvent, but is actually receiving a "native" (I think) MouseEvent.
This event's properties do not provide actual local x & y (or client x &
y) values which is throwing the mouse tracking off. It looks like there is
an override in HTMLElementWrapper that is discarding the BrowserEvent and
sending a native event instead.

—peter