Regarding sorting properties:   The spec implies that sorting properties is not
required.  The only thing that matters is that the bytes for the values are in
the same order as the traits property list.

https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/pdf/amf-file-format-spec.pdf

HTH,
-Alex

On 11/20/18, 11:31 AM, "Greg Dove" <greg.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

    On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 7:52 AM Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:

    > In snooping around the code a bit, I noticed:
    >
    > 1) Flex MX ArrayCollections usually wraps an ArrayList and thus actually
    > justs reads/writes an Array.  So, in theory, the bytes that you find when
    > serializing an Array vs ArrayCollection should only differ by the alias
    > stored (and maybe traits).
    >
    > Yes, that's what I meant when I said that in terms of 'externalizable' it
    seems quite 'easy'. I'm actually mapping the alias to royale ArrayList and
    have this working in a special case setup for now on the inbound side. My
    intention is to make something general that is 'Externalizable' for royale
    though.

    > 2) AMFBinaryData has some special casing for ArrayCollection already, and
    > probably shouldn't.  IMO, that special handling was probably to allow
    > reading of an AC and ending up with an Array.  We don't want that in
Royale.

    > It doesn't really do anything as it was. It just arrives as Array (which
    was usable, but not ideal) - this side seems easier to fix. But it doesn't
    handle sending yet, that's the main focus for me right now.

    > 3) AMFBInaryData implies that there is an externalizable bit in the byte
    > stream.  However, it is not set to true in writeTraits and probably should
    > be, and further, the property list should probably not be written to the
    > stream if the class is IExternalizable.  The API for IExternalizable
    > implies that the implementation "knows" the order of properties.
    >
    > Yes I have no properties for the AC output  - if Externalizable, the
    properties are ignored
    but I will double check I am setting the externalizable marker bit
    correctly- thanks

    > One other thought (you've may have already realized this):  You may not
    > need RemoteObject and a server to test IExternalizable.    You could write
    > a Flash SWF that writes to ByteArray and then dumps the actual bytes and
    > compare to a JS version using AMFBinaryData.  I think the bytes should be
    > exactly the same.

    Yes, I did something like this already, although it was with a variation of
    AMFBinaryData that works in swf instead of javascript, and not with exactly
    the same complex content yet, so far just testing combinations of
    ArrayCollections, including reference copies.... I may go back to that, but
    I thought I would start again by round-tripping something that decodes well
    already in the javascript version, because I am planning to use sort() on
    the properties for reading and writing , which should theoretically make
    the virtual object tables the same for reader and writer - this is the part
    that becomes hard to compare between the implementations with complex
    graphs, because the indexing order for object references will change
    depending on the order that they are encountered when writing (properties
    order) as they are recursed - and so makes 'actual bytes' comparisons not
    easy between different implementations.  (Hopefully that makes sense)

    btw The avmplus code has been at least helpful already to catch another
    thing that is missing in the code we have :)
    if a function is assigned as a value to a property (variable or accessor
    with Function type ) then that value needs to be written as undefined

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fadobe%2Favmplus%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Fcore%2FIExternalizable.as&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C7d3956dfaae248e5f25008d64f1ec082%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636783390831794611&amp;sdata=KsvrBlOz%2FTAzgcYH6%2B7wG%2BGFosvabPjvn3qi59PkwtE%3D&amp;reserved=0

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fflex-sdk%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Fframeworks%2Fprojects%2Fframework%2Fsrc%2Fmx%2Fcollections%2FArrayCollection.as&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C7d3956dfaae248e5f25008d64f1ec082%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636783390831804621&amp;sdata=pvspkTd0zb8Lo0KPeLwJDUM6ggnvHwR7sgcymNjyt%2F8%3D&amp;reserved=0

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fadobe%2Favmplus%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Fcore%2FToplevel.cpp%23L1504&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C7d3956dfaae248e5f25008d64f1ec082%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636783390831804621&amp;sdata=iYXa9AMHUo2jqnw3hJVx0Dx%2BQvf%2ByEvmjn2pY4eeVaQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fadobe%2Favmplus%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2Fcore%2FAvmSerializer.cpp&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C7d3956dfaae248e5f25008d64f1ec082%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636783390831804621&amp;sdata=gaarXejHyDWsPIDAj3KkQwSWyZR0Acd6rFk1eyw%2F16g%3D&amp;reserved=0

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fclicktime.symantec.com%2Fa%2F1%2FfECozPwEKwcw-Ikf3a3HC4wIeBurGWwaEzA&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C7d3956dfaae248e5f25008d64f1ec082%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636783390831804621&amp;sdata=u%2Ft85LFe47ahBNfiL1v4nD%2B%2BHb3v%2BbEwcLLdfidZgu8%3D&amp;reserved=0